Mortgages for Footballers
How do I get a mortgage as a professional footballer?
If you’re looking for mortgages for footballers, it can often be quite time consuming and difficult to sort out your mortgage yourself. Some mortgage appointments at banks can last anything up to 3 hours. We appreciate that your time is precious and as such we are able to give you the information that you need quickly.
We regularly have clients who come to us who play in the Championship or League One who are moving home, looking to remortgage, or want to invest in buy to let properties. Over the years we’ve helped footballers from Bristol Rovers, Portsmouth, Luton Town, Ipswich Town, Hull City etc with their mortgages.
Although based in Bristol, we can help nationally and complete everything over the phone, email and WhatsApp.
In this blog, we will go through the process involved in applying for mortgages for footballers.
Mortgages for Footballers
Although we have helped people in a huge variety of sports (Tennis players, GB athletes, Rugby, Golf, etc) the majority of our enquiries come from Footballers. A lot of lenders struggle with helping Footballers due to a number of factors listed below. We find that every case is different and although we know which highstreet lenders and smaller lenders usually look more favourably on Footballers, we always need to spend time on our client’s behalf explaining the situation and reassuring the lender.
- Professional sportspeople are usually employed on short term contracts.
- A career as a professional sports person usually ends a lot sooner than normal retirement for office workers. i.e. Around 35, not 65 to 70.
- There can often be a number of other sources of income e.g. from sponsorships.
- Income isn’t always in GBP. As footballers travel the world they can have large lump sum income coming from any number of currencies.
- Their income is usually a lot higher than people working in everyday professions but can also end quickly due to injury or performance. If this happened lenders worry that it would be hard for them to replace their income at the same level to enable them to afford the mortgage.
When it comes to the mortgage appointment, we can come to you at the training ground, at home or a local coffee shop. We are also able to complete the appointment by phone or zoom call.
We’ll want to go through the basics, such as looking at your contract and payslips, as well as going through 3 months of bank statements. We appreciate that as your income can be significant, you may generously help the rest of the family out with their bills or car finance. The lenders will also want to know what your plans are post playing, be that getting your coaching badges and becoming a coach, getting your pilots licence and becoming a pilot or maybe even completing your CeMap qualifications and becoming a mortgage adviser.
If you are a footballer looking for a mortgage, then do give us a call on 01174 520 330. Our initial conversations usually last around 15 minutes.
Alternatively, you can email firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know how we can help you.
We will discuss:
- How much you can borrow
- What that will cost
- What fees can you expect
- How Lloyd Wells Mortgages work
- What insurances you will need
- What documentation you will need to provide
- Next steps
Your home may be repossessed if you do not keep up repayments on your mortgage